Saturday, July 20, 2013

I'm New to This...

Hello, blog readers! Welcome to my new adventure. Let me tell you a little bit about myself and just why I decided to start my own little blog.

I've been in what one would call a "funk" lately. A serious funk. I'm just going through one of those periods where everything seems to be more difficult than it should be and there's really no reason for it except that I'm the kind of person that happens to.

This past week has been especially tough. Yes, I know, everyone has tough times and yes, I know, there are a lot of people out there who have it way worse than I do. I'm thankful for what I have, but that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have a bad day. In last Tuesday's case, a REALLY bad day.

Let me tell you a story... Last week my 3 year old son came down with a cold and the next day he started running a fever. His fever stayed for 4 days until he visited the doctor on Monday and picked up some antibiotics for his double ear infections. Ugh. Those 4 days were no fun. My 3 month old daughter picked up his cold. The doctor also checked her out and said if her condition worsened I needed to bring her back in. Cut to Tuesday, her cough is horrible and she is wheezing. So, to the doctor we went. Doc agreed she sounded horrible so she ran some tests and my lil girl tested positive for RSV, Respiratory Synctial Virus. It is essentially a bronchitis type virus and is very nasty in babies. Her oxygen levels were low so the doctor was sending me to the hospital to have my baby admitted for observation. How scared am I at this point? What I thought was going to be a visit in which I was going to end up being the paranoid mom turns into a hospital stay?

So I take lil miss to the car and get her all strapped in. I close her door and what happens? My car door locks malfunction and she is locked inside! As you can all imagine, I turn into a raving psycho screaming and crying and trying to rip off doors, throwing elbows at my car windows. (Side note: At least 10 people walked past in those few minutes and not one asked if I was okay or if they could help. NOT ONE! What is wrong with people?) But in the chaos I managed to call 911 and the dispatcher was actually able to understand me through my serious blubbering. The paramedics arrived a few minutes later. The longest few minutes of my life. It took them all of 2 minutes to pop open my door and I was able to get her out. Once I saw she was okay, I couldn't help but think "What the hell? Am I in a movie?" I'm on my way to the hospital and THIS happens? It's just not real. But it was.

I drove her to the hospital and we went through the motions of getting her admitted to pediatrics and through it all she was happy and seemed completely fine. At the hospital her oxygen levels and other vitals were perfect. Of course, they wanted to keep her overnight just to be sure. She came home the next day.

What does this have to do with my funk, you ask? It threw me deeper into it. Because surely it was all my fault. I could have done something to prevent it all, right?

Well, no. I have to believe I did all that I could. And I have to get out of this funk! I was fortunate enough that my baby girl came out perfectly okay. But what if she didn't? I need to enjoy every minute I have with her. Every minute with my son.

This blog is going to help me do that. This blog is going to get me back into things I love doing. Creating things. Crafts, food, anything. It is going to motivate me to do more for myself so I can be happier and be better for my children.

Whew, that was depressing! I promise I will have happy, fun, creative posts from now on! This is just a little background and insight into me and my slightly crazy brain.

Next post.... Homemade bread. Seriously yummy, homemade bread. I hope you'll stick around :)